Wednesday, June 25, 2008

25 days and counting

Ok - so I thought about doing this months ago - and then really didn't think I had much to say or much anyone would want to hear....



Hell, most of the people I hang out with don't really think I'm insane in fact they have either done a IRONMAN or they are planning to do one ~ so in my silly little Northern Virginia crowd I am just another person training to compete in a IROMAN event.....

So now I am 25 days away from finishing my goal - crossing the finish line and becoming a IRONMAN - The past several weeks have been a true test of my ability and patients. I have questioned myself on more than one occasion and I have wondered it I can actually do this....
I can say with out a doubt that it is a mental test as well as physical and some days I am scared as hell but others I feel amazing, proud and like I can do anything.

Many of my friends who don't train for triathlon and with a group of people that are amazing athletes have ask me so many times - what do you do to train ??? How many hours .....
This past weekend was our last "BIG" training weekend. On Saturday I ran 20 miles and it was the longest run I had ever done. It took me a little over 4 hrs and it was hard. I finished and I was so proud of myself when I was done. Then on Sunday we rode 122.5 miles ( I did a bit over 125 due to a little back tracking I had to do) The ride took a bit over 8hrs. Yep - your reading correctly 8 hours on a bike seat - can you say FUN ??? NOT !!!!! Now let me put that into race day perspective...... 12 hours and I won't be near the finish line. Actually I will only be about 8-10 miles in to my MARATHON ---- marathon are you kidding me I'm doing my 1st marathon at the end of a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike in the Adirondack mountains..... funny ha !!!

Now - that said ...YES I'm scared and yes I am freaking out a bit. However, I will tell you that Monday morning I woke up, felt great only a little soreness and thought all right you have made it through the hardest part. You have trained ~ You have worked hard and now you are going to recover and tapper and be ready to conquer the most incredible experience of your life so far.
( what does that say about my life ??? that will be a question to be answered after the finish line)

I will try to post every few days - what I'm doing ...... and thinking. I hope that you'll find it interesting and if nothing else you'll enjoy the journey with me a bit.

No comments: